Friday, July 16, 2010

A Bit of News and 24 Hour Theatre

So, here we go. I haven't posted on this in a while because, quite frankly, I've had no time and also haven't exactly been leading the most exciting life for these past few weeks/months. After wrapping up with The Baltimore Waltz at City Circle, I've mostly spent my time working and doing a bit of writing here and there. However, I'd say that now's a good time to get this blog up and running again because I'm finally getting out of Iowa. That's right. I've been in the state for over a decade, bar a few summers in Chicago, and while there are certainly things I love about the place, there's no future for me here in the theatre. There's just no career to make. There's plenty of good theatre work being done, I don't mean to suggest otherwise. But the niche for professional theatre in Iowa City has already been filled by Riverside Theatre, and there's no other place in the state I'd be willing to live for an extended period of time outside of college.

And so, as seems inevitable, I'm moving to New York City. My brother and I have basically found a place in Washington Heights and will be moving in at the beginning of August - so about two weeks from now. Andrew's been out there for a few months already, and has a day job to go along with having been cast in several shows. I'm not so fortunate - I've less money in the bank and as a director it seems a bit harder to get in on the ground floor - but I'll make it work. I've applied for a few internships in Casting/Artistic Direction, so one of those would be a good place to start. I've a few contacts in the city and a few ideas regarding some performances to be done on the cheap - I'll do my best to document the experience here.

But, before I go, I've got one last show happening here. Dreamwell and City Circle have teamed up to produce the All in a Day festival, which will be theatre festival of ten minute plays written, directed, memorized, and performed all within one twenty-four hour period. I'll be involved as one of six directors, and I'm definitely looking forward to the bizarre whirlwind that I expect this experience to be. I'll talk a little bit about the experience tomorrow night or the morning after. I'm definitely very curious, to say the least. I haven't really done much preparation other than fiddling with my sound editing software, also going through my music to find a wide array of possible soundtracks for whatever the show might end up being - I'm going to be prepared, and music is a great way to augment and help pull an audience in a certain direction. With the limited time frame, that sort of emotional trigger will be invaluable. Sort of cheating, in a way, but ah well. They're awarding prizes at the end (I don't know what for specifically), and I'm competitive.

In any case, things are finally starting to move again, and I'm definitely excited. A bit nervous, perhaps, but given that I'll have very little room for error with this move (I'll need to find a job ASAP), I suppose it might be warranted. But I am excited. And definitely ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment